Monday, January 2, 2012

Chapter 58



Jon hurried to the washrooms, ignoring the fact it was a ladies washroom and went inside.
“This is the ladies room.” A lady by the sinks that was washing her hands said.
“I need to talk to my lady.” Jon said and ignored what else she would say. He looked around, there were only 4 stalls and only one had the door closed. “Melody?” He said to the door.
The lady by the sinks was still there and was watching him. He felt he was being watched and looked at her. “I’m not leaving, so you can stop staring at me.” He told her, he didn’t care if she thought it was rude, he thought it was still pretty polite.
The lady turned around and left the room.
“Melody?” He still didn’t get any answer. “There’s nobody else in here, I know you’re in there. Please just tell me what’s wrong.” He pleaded.
Melody sighed, she should tell him, and it wasn’t fair if he didn’t know. “Jon, do you really care about me?” She asked and wiped the last tears from her eyes.
He slid down the wall, to floor, sitting against the wall, leaning on the door. “I do.”
“But really, really care about me?”
“What? I love you Melody. Why? What’s wrong?” He was confused, why would she doubt that?
“You didn’t introduce me as your girlfriend, not even as a friend.” She said.
“Fuck, Melody, no. After your little freak out in-”
She kicked the door. “Don’t call it a freak out!”
“Ok!” He sat back up, leaning against the door made him feel the kick. “After what you said in the car, things changing, and people hating you. I just thought you’d prefer if I didn’t introduce you as my girl so things wouldn’t change.”
Melody sat back and looked up at the wall. So he was trying to protect her, he didn’t mean it bad. When she thought of it, it actually was her own fault; she was the one freaking out in the car.
“Mel?”
She unlocked the door; she hadn’t expected him sitting on the floor but looked at him. “I’m sorry. It’s my own fault. I do want people to know you're all mine now; I just don’t want to know their reaction.” Melody explained and got up; she walked out of the stall, sat down with him and hugged him. “I’m sorry. I just keep imagining things.”
“It’s ok.” He hugged her back and kissed the top of her head. “What things are you imagining?”
“This, I keep thinking this can’t be real and then my mind thinks of all kinds of things why it couldn’t be real.”
“Why couldn’t it?” He asked.
“Because I’ve been dreaming of exactly this since I was 18. I just keep thinking its all some dream and you don’t really love me.” Tears started to well up in her eyes again.
He turned around to face her, he noticed the tears in her eyes and wiped them away before saying: “I really do love you, really. You’re not dreaming, it’s real and I love you, for real.”
“See, I know that, I really do, but something inside me keeps telling me to wake up.”
“I’ll just have to keep telling you.” He pulled his arm around her, hugging her tighter. “I love you.” He added again.
“I know you do.” She smiled, deep down she did know but not so deep down her thoughts of her dreams never coming true were louder. “I love you.”
“So I can tell people were together and just not listen to their reactions?”
“You can, I just don’t want to know.” She said.
“I really do love you, you know. I know it went fast but I love you. It’s been three months but I couldn’t live without you anymore, just knowing you’re there puts everything at ease.”
“I feel the same way. I love that you"re there when I get home, it’s a lot better than getting home to an empty house.” She said, and turned a bit so she could hug him better.

They hugged for a little while before getting up. Jon stood up, pulled his pants straight and helped Melody up.
“My ass hurts.” He said while adjusting his belt again.
“I’m sorry.” Melody reached her arms around him and caressed his right buttock where she had hit him.
“From sitting on the floor.” He laughed.
“You still got a nice ass.”

They left the washroom and went back to their table.
“I’m sorry for overreaction, again.” Melody said when they were almost by their table.
“It’s alright; I love you so it’s fine. Don’t worry about it.” He understood how she felt, he thought. He’d never dated a fan before, but he understood it was hard to see reality in something she’d only dreamed of. She loved him; he loved her, that last part she just had to realize more. He was ok with it, she was his, and she wasn’t running away so he’d wait.
They had missed all the speeches about charity; that must have been why nobody walked into the washrooms.

Dinner was served for them. Melody loved every bite of it, perfect catering. They got a small entree and a main course served with wine. Melody only took a sip of her drink and left it standing. She looked around to see if she could get something else to drink but all the waiters seemed so busy she didn’t want to bother anyone. She turned around again and finished her dinner.
“Don’t like your wine?” Jon asked when he noticed her glass, he already had his refilled.
“Don’t like wine.” Melody answered.
“Let’s get you something else then.” He looked around for a waiter too and called one over.
Melody ordered a drink without alcohol, unlike she had thought it was brought to her right away.
They talked with the other people at table while they waited for their dessert. Melody felt Jon’s hand her knee, she put her hand on top of his and intertwined their fingers. She hardly knew anybody at the table and everyone told her what they did for a living, showing interest in what she did when she explained her job too.

Someone showed up on the stage at the front of the room and they started honouring and thanking everyone that had helped during the year. Jon had already gotten his award in 2009, 2 years ago. There were a lot of comedians and it was great listening to them. Jon couldn’t stop laughing at some of their jokes which only made Melody laugh even more.

She let go of Jon’s hand and took his wrist to check his watch when their dessert arrived. 10.25 pm already. Jon promised they’d leave after dessert; she would have to get up early for work the next day. There was still a silent auction but Jon wasn’t really interested in that or waiting for the results. He decided he’d make a donation to the food bank in the morning instead. They had their 2 scoops of ice cream and were ready to go. Jon said goodbye to everyone at the table and Melody did the same.

Their ride arrived when they walked outside and they were home just 15 minutes later. It was almost 11.30 by now and Melody was getting tired, definitely not looking forward to getting up at 6.30.
They undressed, had a stop in the bathroom and got in bed together. Jon pulled Melody close to him, chest to chest and kissed her. “I love you.”
“I love you too.”

Chapter 59

No comments:

Post a Comment