Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chapter 60


Jon walked her to the living room, picking up the box of Kleenex on the way. He walked her to the couch, sitting down and pulling her next to him. Jon started getting worried about her. He hadn’t thought his question would change that much, he hadn’t thought something like that would have happened. The way she shut down when he asked, he could only imagine how traumatic it could be, but he wanted to know so he could understand.
She threw her legs over his lap, resting over the couch and hugged his chest.
“It’s ok, really. We can just forget what I asked and talk about something else.” He said softly.
“I can’t forget.” She whispered, she had wished she could forget it, it was years ago, but she couldn’t forget, she always believed that was her punishment. The memory was still there like it just happened yesterday. Tears started rolling over her face.
“It’s up to you.” He concluded and it was. If she decided not to talk he would be ok with that too.

Melody was quiet, trying to push the memory back, but she wanted to tell him. She hadn’t thought of it herself for years and she didn’t want to think of it either. Sitting like a complete mess in his lap, crying, she couldn’t leave it at that either.

Bottling up all her courage she took a deep breath. “She died.” She said softly to his chest. “She was only 15. We were driving and we were late. We had to be home by 9, we went to a movie and we had to be home by 9. Lucy told me again we were going to be late and I started driving faster, just the limit.” She paused and wiped some tears away, a useless effort as only more tears replaced the ones she just wiped away, remembering that spring night.
Jon stroked her hair trying to sooth her; he didn’t want her to continue if it was hurting her that much. He pulled her even closer, resting his head on hers.
“I crossed the intersection, I had the right of way but I hadn’t seen him coming towards us. I didn’t see him coming till he hit the car where Lucy was sitting.” She couldn’t stop her tears anymore and didn’t bother.
He just held her tighter, he didn’t know what else to do.
“He was drunk, but I hadn’t seen him, I should have seen him.” When she closed her eyes she could see the bright headlights again.
“Melody, it’s not your fault.” He whispered softly, trying not to upset her any more than she already was.
“Yes it is, I should have seen him. I should have seen him before he hit my car and killed my little sister!”
“It’s not your fault.” He whispered again, hoping she’d believe him. It wasn’t fair she’d been blaming herself for the death of her sister her whole life.



“Worst of all, he walked away with it.” She said hopelessly crying to his chest. He could feel the tears through his shirt. The box of Kleenex was still standing next to him; he picked one out and started drying her tears. She felt herself getting angrier again when she remembered it. It was a drunk driver, his car had hardly been damaged when he hit the left side of her car and he had driven away again. Hit and run. “He hit the car and drove away and I never got to say goodbye to her. He got away with it!” She yelled, slapping her hand on his chest, crying. She wanted so bad to forget, and for him to pay for what he had done. She couldn’t forget, she could only suppress.
All he could do was hold her, which he did until her cries turned to sobs and heavy breathing.

“They didn’t find him?” Jon asked, slightly changing the subject when her breathing went back to normal.
“The police never found him; I woke up 2 days later in the hospital and didn’t remember anything except bright headlights.” Those headlights still haunted her when she thought of that night. “I wasn’t of much use to give a description of the car, I didn’t even remember my family, I had no idea what happened. They gave up looking for the car.”



“Lucy in the sky with diamonds.” She smiled softly, raising her head from his chest.
Jon thought of it and smiled too.
“Mum and dad named her after the song,” she said with another faint smile, “they loved music, and we’re all named after someone.”
“Is that how you got Melody?” He asked quietly.
Melody nodded. “Lucy in the sky with diamonds.” She said again. “It’s fitting, isn’t it?” She asked looking up at him and saw him nod. She took another Kleenex from the box and wiped away the remaining tears.

“I’m gonna have a bath.” She said after a little while, getting up from his lap again.
“Are you sure?” He asked worried. “I’ll go with you.”
“No, alone.” She said. She saw the disappointment in his eyes and realized he only wanted to help. She bent down to kiss him. “I just need to be alone.”
Jon nodded reluctantly; he didn’t want to let her go. He wanted to be there for her even when he couldn’t do anything for her but he let her go.



An hour and a half later Melody got out of the relaxing tub. She hadn’t found any bath soaps or bubbles so she had used some regular soap to make bubbles.
The water made a draining noise when the tub was empty. She found her bag in the dressing and looked through it; she needed something snug right now. Picking out a black pair of sweatpants she looked around her bag for an oversized t-shirt but didn’t find one. Looking around she noticed there were enough oversized t-shirts around her. She got up and looked through Jon’s t-shirt finally picking one out she had seen before, she put it on and was happy with its size.

She walked out to the hallway and saw Jon sitting with a dark haired lady and a lot of bags in the dining area, that must be Dawn.
Jon heard her walk in and got up from the table meeting her before she reached the table. “Are you ok?” He asked holding her hands at her sides.
Melody nodded. “I’m fine, I just…” She started to sound sad again.
“Hey, it’s ok; I understand you need some time. Want to meet Dawn?” He pulled her by her hand back to the table and let her sit down next to him. “Dawn, my girlfriend Melody, Melody, Dawn, my wardrobe lady.” He said with a smile and the fitting hand gestures.
They exchanged a ‘nice to meet you’ politely.
“I bet you can’t wait either to start a fashion show.” Dawn said happy, she loved her job. She got to dress Jon the way she liked, if he approved, that is and loved it.
“Definitely, that’ll be fun.” Melody said with a smile, the thought did make her other thoughts go away.
Jon rolled his eyes, sure they liked playing dress up but he didn’t. It was almost as bad as photo shoots.
Dawn’s face cleared up with a question. “So you must be why Jon insists on wearing long sleeved shirts with a t-shirt over them. I keep telling him he should just keep those for encores.”
Melody smiled. “Well have you seen him in that?” She laughed, giving him a shove. He did look amazing in those.
“I got new clothes for next month.” Dawn said with a smile again. “Let’s get started.” She grabbed a bag off the floor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh.
I figured something like a car accident since she was so adament about buckling up in earlier chapters. That's so sad. Jon's there to be her rock. Thanks for the chapter.

Pirate said...

I love how my story keeps getting twists, I only thought of this part 2 days ago. I actually had other plans for her sister but this works

Norum Angel said...

another amazing chapter sis just keeps getting better n better actually got me emotional

Pirate said...

whooo, thats what i tried to do

Marina said...

OMG here it comes the ugly red jacket. The story is so good and it's gonna be spoiled now :P No seriously i love the story and you have a great style of writing which only makes me wanna read more even when i really have to sleep cause i'm to tired. Only great writers do that to me and now you're one of them

Post a Comment